So how’s the writers housework rhyme working out for me?
Well… I’m not going to beat myself up about it. One of my not-so-healthy tendencies is to beat myself up about every little thing. This time, I’m not gonna do it! Ha! Instead, I’m going to celebrate a few minor accomplishments:
1) I painted my dining room. Yay! It was an ugly oatmeal color. My husband went away for the weekend and I wanted to surprise him. My friend Brittany came over and we spent the entire weekend painting. Now it’s a lasting beautiful.
2) Book 2 is marinating. I have been encouraged! (This post from Writer Unboxed was especially helpful). No, the first draft is not great. Yes, the first draft is a first draft. I’ve learned a lot from it and the fresh ideas in which it is soaking are top-notch. I’m excited to get back to it.
3) I’ve started querying again. I read the Query Shark archives for about 3 days over the span of a week, re-wrote my query about 4 times, and sent it off to the Shark herself! In the meantime, though, her archives helped me so much that I took the new query out for a spin, querying 3 agents.
4) I read the first five-star book I’ve seen since… well a long time. My review on The Fault in Our Stars is here.
5) I’ve been averaging a little over 20 hits per day on days that I don’t touch my blog. That number used to be 7 (again, on un-touched days). Now that makes me happy.
6) Shakes is going really well. I love these kids. The show is going to be spectacular.
7) Look! It’s a picture of my doggie!
All in all, I think that living life is a necessary component to making art. I have been living a lot of life lately. I’m excited to spill it out onto a page really soon.
Happy summer! Go swimming for me!